Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Botanical Dress

Some people have very predictable tastes and I fall into this category; anything with a floral/bird/insect/gardening theme is irresistible.  It is a pity, but there it is, it can't be helped.  Friends and family can always tell that certain objects will appeal to me if they have that certain look.    

When we went on the girls’ road trip to Tarnished Frocks and Divas we discovered a lovely shop on the way home called Village Fabrics & Needlecraft.  It is a good thing I don’t live too close or I would be spending all my time and money there.  I did buy half a metre of this botanical themed fabric and am planning to make my special Christmas/summer frock for the year using this fabric for the bodice.


 Look!  It even has birds!


 and butterflies
  and bees, flowerpots and trowels!


For the skirt there will be black silk with a black tulle overlay, and the tulle will have all kinds of flowers, insects, birds and garden themed things appliquéd to it.  So far I am working on these flowers …


strawberries and blackberries

but eventually there should be some dragonflies, butterflies and whatever else I can think of.  Planning all the things to be appliquéd on is great fun.  I will show you the end result – provided I am not too distracted by the redwork sampler with birds which is taking all my spare time at present!  It is ages since I did any cross stitch and it is very relaxing to take up the needle again.


 Birds - they seem to be something of a preoccupation of late

  Cherubs on another piece of cross stitch for a cushion

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love the botanical in anything! My everyday dishes are Portmerien called Botanical Garden. Can't wait to see your garment creation...it sounds lovely. Your redwork is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snap! Portmeirion Botanical Garden are my everyday crockery too. (And very durable they are - almost unbreakable in my experience.) I will keep you posted on progress with the botanical dress, it is good fun so far. About the redwork, I had been planning to make borders to trim sheets but decided the wear and tear might prove too much for them so am settling for cushions instead.

    ReplyDelete