Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Long Weekend Excitements

Well for most of the country the biggest event of the long weekend would have been the long awaited regaining of the Webb Ellis trophy after the All Blacks won the Rugby World Cup, and I must say it turned out to be a very exciting (and nerve wracking) game.  The French were almost triumphant and there was an expectant hush all over the country as the game drew to a close.  Would the All Blacks be able to hold on for the one point victory?  As it turned out, they did, and what a relief!  Apparently doctors surgeries all over the country would have been swamped with depressed men and boys if we had not won it.





 Mr Shoestring had a ticket to see the game and was in a perfect seat to take in the whole spectacle and tells me that the atmosphere was intense and the whole event very exciting.


  I think I had just as much fun on the night though, I was invited to a party in a home where the games room had been converted to a “man cave” complete with grandstand, and the game was projected on the wall.  The room was festooned with all the flags from the participating nations and there was a delicious lamb on a spit and other tasty food for the guests.  What a beautiful night it was and what staunch heartland Kiwis were there to cheer on their team.


Having an extra day makes a huge difference to a weekend – wouldn’t it be nice to have that luxury every week?  I made myself a new dress, also did lots on the botanical dress embellishments.  And the op shop haul was a good one too, Mr Shoestring treated himself to these shoe forms. 

I am sure there must be a name for them, but I have no idea what that might be.  It looks as though his fondness for tools may be transferring to shoe accessories now, this is the second set of similar articles he has obtained of late.

For me the highlight at the market was the plant man who has unusual plants.  This week I bought lily of the valley and a strange cobra headed flowering plant from him.  Every time I have seen his plants I have been impressed by their health and reasonable prices.  I don’t hold out much hope for the lily of the valley, it may not be cold enough for it at Shoestring, but have popped it into a nice spot on the shady side of the cottage.  Also I found a pair of kid gloves in pristine condition – perfect for next Art Deco Weekend in Napier in February.  


The programme has come out now and we are booked in for all our favourite events, the next thing will be to create some costumes for the evening events – they are always more of a challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your botanical themed dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making progress on it Egretta, but have been a bit distracted by other comings and goings. I will try to get a photo of it posted next time I post. Hope all is going well with you and you are enjoying some cooler weather now!

    ReplyDelete